Thursday, May 20, 2010

Now...lets try with tomato seeds.


Few days after my experience with the papayas I was making a lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes salad. I was cutting the tomatoes on a cutting board and adding them to the salad bowl. There were few seeds left on the cutting board and I decided to give it a try to see if the tomato seeds could grow as the papaya seeds did.

No special seeds trays or potting soil. I just went to the yard and I planted the seeds in a specific area by the side of the house so I will know that if there were sprouts growing there they definitely were from the tomato seeds.

And they germinated too!! There were 14 little sprouts! They were too close to each other so I started very carefully transplanting them to give them a little space. I put them in another pot and placed it also on my kitchen window next to the pot with the papaya sprouts. I love to see new leaves growing and the plants being a few inches taller that they were the day before. They not only get plenty of sunlight by the window too and but since I keep an close eye on them they get enough water because I am sure of watering them when they look thirsty.

I have been transplanting them when they seem to need more space to spread their leaves. Of course now I cannot have all the pots in my kitchen, but I have them in areas I can still see them to make sure they are getting the needed sun and water.

I'm counting the days to prepare a salad with my home grown tomatoes.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

No comments:

Post a Comment